Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cleared for Take-off! week 10

The last few weeks have been a blur as Gigi moved quickly from gimpy to limpy to shifty and gypsy... with every week, she was a little more ambitious and the rules started to be negotiable, at least in her eyes.  Gates were for pushing, barricades were for knocking down.  Then she's stand there and wag - "I'm READY".  "Awanna gofer aRiiide, Mom, noooooooooow.  And the wailing and wooing would start.  On one particularly spectacular night, Gigi stood her ground and barked at my husband at least 50 times - very purposeful communication, no hysterics.  I think she was getting a wee bit bored.  Every time he tried to interrupt her, she'd turn her head away - and continue her diatribe. I think that's the Princess' version of "I'm not finished talking yet".

The last week of March her x-rays showed her bone to be completely healed.  It is now time to start rehab. 

10 minutes walks as many times a day as she wants as long as she rests in between.  Because the mountain driveway is still too much for her, we've been popping her into the car and heading to the bottom for our walks.  Every tree needs sniffing, every gopher hole, fox den, grounded feather, etc. needs inspecting.  Clearly she is glad to be back on patrol.   And racking up the "minimum requirement" for daily rides.  This will, no doubt, get out of hand as all her expectations eventually do.  There will come a day when she will refuse to get out of the car and we will have to drive to Missouri or North Dakota to satisfy her.  It's happened before. And she has the photo album to prove it!

We've had more ooops in the past week than in all the priors.  Today she decided to ignore the first step up - and ended up sprawled on the stairs.  She's tempted to leap out of the car - absolutely not - and is trying to cheat the last half of the extended ramp, on both the up and down trips.  If I wasn't already grey I'd be there now!

Interestingly, she has maintained the 2 a.m. "pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze canni havsum waaaaaaaaaaater" - this is a whine/whistle that catapults me out of bed every time.  I'd put her water bowl dish at the end of her bed, but I'd be the one to step in it in the wee hours and set us all awash.  And I'd bet she'd still lie there and whine for a drink.

We're on The Diet now.  Green beans for filler.  Near as I can tell, it simply makes dinner like a great Chinese meal - only good about about 2 hours.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze mom, I'm hunnnnnnnnnnnnnnngry.

Oh brother.

1 comment:

  1. I just have to tell you...you are a wonderful writer!!!
    Interesting text about recovery from tplo.
    We had a tplo one week ago, on our German Shepherd, she is really not as "bouncy"as I had expected...

    ReplyDelete